HOLIDAY HAPPENINGS IN HAMPTON ROADS
Written by Toni Jones on December 9, 2019
Date: Saturday, December 14, 2019 from 5:15-8:30pm
Where: Mariner Community Recreation Center, NSA Hampton Roads Northwest
What: Free Buffet Dinner and Photos with Santa, Tree Lighting, Iceless Skating.
Dates: Now – December 14, 2019, daily from 4-9pm
Where: Norfolk Botanical Garden, 6700 Azalea Garden Rd., Norfolk, VA
What: Enjoy a festive and healthy way to kick off the holidays. Walk through 2 miles of spectacular lighted displays.
Cost: Tickets are $18 (not yet members); $16 (military); $14 (Garden members); $10 (children 3 to 17); children 2 & younger are FREE.
Dates: Now – December 31, 2019. Hours of operation are 5:30pm-10pm Sunday through Thursday, and 5:30pm-11pm Friday-Saturday.
Where: On the boardwalk beginning at 2nd Street, Virginia Beach VA
What: Drive your vehicle ON THE BOARDWALK through Nautical, Holiday, and Adventure Lands with a soundtrack signal playing traditional Holiday music on your vehicle’s radio. Festive fish, musical crabs, and hard-working elves – all in brightly colored lights against the moonlit Atlantic Ocean – are the stars of BayPort Credit Union Holiday Lights Merry Mile. They are joined by light up Santa and a 40-foot tall Christmas tree erected on the Beach and in the beautiful Parks along the Virginia Beach Boardwalk. The light display includes archways along the entire length of the spectacular light display with fish swimming overhead and spectacular light tunnels to drive through. Military tributes to the region’s strong Armed Forces community are featured prominently throughout the display.
Cost: Cars, $10 nightly. Limos: $25. Motor coaches: $45. Mini buses: $25. On “Military Mondays,” presented by Bayport Credit Union, active military receive a 50% discount each Monday night. Military Monday tickets are $5 per car. All vehicles enter through the main entrance at 2nd Street. Cash only is accepted at the gate. ENTER OUR WEEKLY TICKET GIVEAWAY HERE
When: Now through Sunday, January 5, 2020. Mondays – Thursdays: 4pm – 9pm. Fridays: 4pm – 10pm. Saturdays: 10am – 10pm. Sundays: 11am – 8pm. Closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Where: The Virginia Beach Farmers Market 3640 Dam Neck Rd, Virginia Beach VA
What: WELCOME WINTER with VB ICE. Virginia Beach’s only outdoor ice skating rink. Located at the VB Farmer’s Market. Ice Skating, skate rentals, concessions. Group rates available. Private parties available. Weekday specials. All are welcome to skate on the only outdoor ice rink in Virginia Beach!
Cost: $15 per person includes Skate Rental. $7 per person/with your own skates. $5 Military Admission/per person plus $8 Skate Rental. Group and private rink rentals available.
For more information: CLICK HERE
Dates: Now – January 1, 2020. The event will be open each evening, 5:30 – 10pm
Where: Newport News Park at the intersection of Ft. Eustis Blvd. and Jefferson Ave. in Newport News, VA
What: For its 27th year, the event will add new lighting effects in the Newport News Golf Course at Deer Run area and enhancements to the Newport News arch. The event will be open each evening, 5:30 – 10:00 p.m., through January 1, 2020. Over 350 individual display pieces, 50+ arches, and over three miles of rope lighting enhance the natural beauty of the two-mile drive along Newport News Park’s main road. All-new display pieces added since 2007 use LED lights which result in a savings of approximately 30% on electrical cost compared to incandescent bulbs and last 100,000 hours versus 3,000 hours for incandescent. Older (pre-2007) display pieces are being refitted with LED lights.
Cost: $15.00 per car and $75.00 per bus (cash, credit cards, and checks made payable to the City of Newport News are accepted; advance/gift tickets may be purchased at the Newport News Visitors Center)
When: Now – Monday, January 20, 2020
Where: Just outside of MacArthur Center Mall in Norfolk – at the corner of Monticello Avenue and Freemason Street
What: Outdoor ice skating is now in its 15th year at MacArthur Center in Norfolk. The rink is open for skating, birthday parties, and special events. Enjoy public skating sessions, ice hockey clinics, figure skating exhibitions, and a magical snowfall each night. Those new to the ice or feeling a bit rusty can get a helping hand from skate guards on-site.
Cost: Admission is $7 for skating and skate rental is $8 per person (you can also bring your own skates). There is a Military Discount of $2 off the admission price for military personnel and their family members (must show valid military ID to receive discount). A season pass is available for $199. FREE SKATE RENTALS on opening day only!
For hours of operation and additional information, CLICK HERE.
The rink also offers specials and special events including:
- Magical Snowfall
- Student Skate Nights ($2 off admission with valid high school or college ID)
- Date Night Skate Night (two tickets to skate and two hot chocolates for $25 on Wednesdays)
- Skating Santa
- Disco on Ice
- Paint the Ice
Thursday, December 26, 2019
- 1pm & 6pm Harambe for the Holidays Kwanzaa Celebration at the Main Theatre of the Kroc Center at 1401 Ballentine Blvd Norfolk, VA. Performances at 1pm and 6pm.
- This stage play about two different traditional folktales, one tale features the popular song and game Che Che Kule. A musician provides lobby entertainment, set and lighting effects wow the crowd, and the celebration of Kwanzaa is expressed by community players onstage. Concessions, raffles and the marketplace are available in lobby before, after, and between the shows.
Friday, December 27, 2019
- 3pm Celebrating Kwanzaa Holiday Event at Mary D. Pretlow Anchor Branch 111 W. Ocean View Ave. Norfolk, Virginia 23503
- Learn about the principles of Kwanzaa while enjoying good music.
Saturday, December 28, 2019
- 11am Kwanzaa Celebration at Indian River Library 2320 Old Greenbrier Road, Chesapeake VA
- What: Learn about the 7 principles of Kwanzaa and celebrate at the Library.
- 11am-3pm A Very Happy Kwanzaa at Selden Market with Pure Lagos at Selden Market 208 E Main Street, Norfolk, Virginia 23510
- What: Join us at Selden Market to celebrate Kwanzaa with Pure Lagos! FREE // ALL AGES // 11AM-3PM + Sample African food + Zawadi for the children + Kinara lighting + Djembe drumming + Dancing + Fellowship + African fashion, art and furniture On the 3rd day of Kwanzaa, we celebrate the principle of Ujima: Collective Work & Responsibility. We’ll look at building relationships to help solve our problems collectively as a community. PLUS… visit Pure Lagos throughout Kwanzaa for daily specials!